Three Common Molds You Might Find in MA Homes After a Flood

 In mold removal

According to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), after a flood occurs, mold and mildew will begin to develop within 24 to 48 hours. That’s not a lot of time to react—especially when you’re dealing with all the other headaches that come along with a flooded house.

And when it comes to mold, not all molds are created equal. Some are simply aggravating, while others are actually quite dangerous. Here are a few molds you should look out for in any part of your home that has been exposed to dampness—as well as what you should know about them.

Black Mold

Also known as Strachybotrys, this is one of the most well-known molds simply because it is very toxic. Not only does it like growing inside homes, but it often grows behind walls and ceilings, allowing it to proliferate long before you even suspect you have a mold problem. Having your home properly cleaned after a flood is important because companies like Roys Restoration can eliminate this threat. Toxic black mold can cause headaches, asthma, and even cancer.


That green or black powdery mold you’ve found in the corner of your basement is likely Cladosporium. This extremely common mold enjoys growing on everything from organic materials (take a look at the casserole you forgot in the back of the fridge) to air ducts and paint. Left to grow, this mold can cause asthma, rashes, and pulmonary conditions such as mycetoma (when mold colonizes the lung cavities).


Most of us breathe in Aspergillus spores every day—it’s one of the most common fungi in the world. Breathe in too much, though, and you stand a greater chance of developing Aspergillosis, lung infections, and allergic reactions. How can you keep Aspergillus out of your home? One way to keep errant spores at bay is to use a HEPA air purifier. This is especially important if your home is very humid. If your home does experience a flood, check to see if any furniture has been touched by water. Even if it looks fine, you’re better off throwing it out. Couches and chairs that have experienced water saturation often become breeding grounds for mold growth.

Have you or someone in your family experienced cold-like symptoms that a doctor suspects could be a reaction to mold? The experts at Roys Restoration can help eliminate the threat of mold from your home. Call them today for an estimate and to find out more about the warning signs of mold.

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search