What To Do if There’s a Sewer Backup in Your Home
A professional restoration company is the best option to help deal with your sewage backup in your basement. However, there are things that you can do to help alleviate the damage to your home before the professional restoration company arrives at your home.
Steps to take if you have a sewer backup
- Evacuate the flooded area. Sewage contaminates are hazardous to both humans and animals. Be sure to evacuate yourself, your family, and your pets from the damaged area.
- Turn off electrical power in the flooded area. It is very dangerous to have appliances come into contact with water. Be sure to prevent electrical wires or appliances from becoming in contact with standing water or wet materials.
- Do not go near electrical devices. You must take great caution if the main circuit breaker is in the basement. Turn off the electrical circuit before the restoration team arrives at your home. If you cannot disconnect the power safely, avoid going near any electrical devices.
- Wear protective clothing. Before you walk through or come in contact with sewer water, be sure to wear protective clothing such as; a face mask, eyeglasses, gloves, and rubber boots.
- Shut off the valve. Turn off the valve for the main water line in your home.
- Notify your insurance company. While you are waiting for the restoration company, contact your insurance company. You should remember that sewer backups are not covered by standard homeowners unless you have purchased extra coverage for sewers and drains.
- Notify your sewer department. If your home is connected to a public sewer, notify your municipal authority or sewer department about the issue as soon as possible.
- Do not use the water in your home until the backup problem is fixed. Do not flush toilets or drain tubs or sinks.
- Open windows or doors to let fresh air flow in and ventilate the area.
- Add bleach to the standing water to help with disinfection.
If you need more information regarding sewage backups in your home, contact Roy’s Restoration today and we’ll assist you! Give us a call at 617-607-3399 or fill out a contact form.